1 Aug 2013

What makes a blog a succes?


Once in a while you might come across new and unfamiliar tasks or challenges (to me blogging is one of these new challenges).
Usually when a new task or challenge is presented your first and uncertain steps are most often directed towards investigating; what is this new stuff really about? Fortunately the answers are never far away. The simple words “what is…” can take you almost anywhere and provide you with knowledge of your topic of interest on many different levels thanks to the wonders of the internet. 
In your search for knowledge i.e. of a specific product you might often end up finding your answers at a discussion forum or even a blog – and not at the product homepage. The home-experts and bloggers are in fact becoming more and more vital in our search for knowledge and many have further managed to make their knowledge sharing a profession. But how do they do this?

Key issues to my strategy:
To me the answer lies in the bloggers ability of contributing emergentrelevant and requested information and hence creating value to his users. If the blogger further manage to get the message out (to other than just the closest friends) a blogging success might be in the making.
A successful blogging strategy can also be simplified as sticking to the four C's:

  • Community - aiming your post on your target audience
  • Content - create quality content that can be of value to your reader 
  • Consistency - write regularly so you don't lose your audience   
  • Clarity - be clear, make it short and have fun!
My overall blogging strategy should therefore attempt to follow these guidelines and not fall into the me-and-my-bicycle-trap or other too navel-gazing perspectives. As this blog is mainly focused on issues related to the emerging concepts of social technology and Enterprise 2.0 I expect to put on my “nerdy” goggles and include relevant theory on the topic. My strategy is, however, also to keep an informal style of writing with plain discussions or in-depth analyses - both with a light season of humor, as this personally helps keeps me intrigued.

As this is my first blog I don’t have any high expectations of it becoming a huge success. Practice makes perfect so maybe in time when I have more experience and more knowledge on the subject I can allow myself to aim higher. For now the main goal, however, is just to get the message out there and above all LEARN. Next I will seek to participate in online discussions, starting with my class mates, by commenting on other blogs and by that, in time, gaining more experience (and hopefully more readers) in my new blogging “career”  

A blog worth reading
Formerly I have mainly read my friends travelling blogs from around the world – actually one of these blogs inspired me to come to Brisbane and study this semester at QUT. In terms  of presenting a specific blog that I find interesting and I think could contribute in a specific manner, I decided to highlight a blog concerning the ever important topic of: 
Also it gives a few tips that might come in handy once we enter the real world (read: get a real job). The author pretty much cut the unnecessary content and writes in a straight forward way that I really like.

In other news
I know that the above mentioned pretty much covers the assignment for this week. I would, however, still like to open the debate with one of my favourite topics that I think relates to this unit the use of social media in one’s private lifeAm I the only one who has come to wonder if I really need all this (read: a virtual life). Sometimes the thought of just pulling the plug has crossed my mind. The thought is, however, also a bit scary and I wonder If the action would leave me feeling completely free (and happy), cut off or perhaps would affect my future work relations (facebook and twitter are for instance a must in this class). I don’t question that networking and sharing knowledge through social technology is a huge advantage professionally, I just wonder if I can get the same professional profile without engaging in private social platforms?


Please feel free to comment and let us have a nice discussion :-)







  

10 comments:

  1. Nice first post, I like your plan to keep the tone of the blog posts informal while discussing Enterprise 2.0 topics. I will surely follow you and see how that works out in practice! :) Please check out my first post too, I'm curious what you think:

    http://digitalrainforest.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/personal-digital-strategy/

    Cheers
    Vivien

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, I'd like to ask, what language your blog theme is in? LOL..you might wanna change it to English though Don't worry about this blogging stuff as I am sure most of us are new to it too and we will all learn from each other..Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chiugo
    Ha ha thanks to bringing that to my attention (the blog is in Danish) cant believe I didn't thought of that. Actually I decided to delete it and edit my post. Feel free to check it out again :-)
    Thank you, it actually helps a bit knowing that I am not the only one doing this for the first time. Will make sure to comment on your post asap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lise,
    I agree with you about unfamiliar tasks as challenges. They are really what we have to face them in our real lives either online or offline world. Like you said, learning is one of the best options to tackle and overcome those challenges. I am a new blogger too, so I think that it might be great to get familiar with other bloggers who attend the same class as mine :D). This probably can be done by letting myself to pay visits and share my thoughts with blog owners. Truly, I am amazed on seeing how different blog post aspects interpreted from just one single topic idea. I guess that the way we learn from each other on what we share in common as well as other sides that are new to us.

    Very inspiring post, Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note: You can visit my blog post by clicking at my username (sarun21) from this comment. Nice to meet you, Lise

      Delete
  5. Did you know that all the instructions on your blog are in german?? I think it's german. Nice start though

    ReplyDelete
  6. huh! no I absolutly did not know that, hmm must find me some one to help me fix this??? (its danish... but close though :-) but thanks for pointing it out to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just talked to Jason and as long as the content is in english it´s no problem, so I guess it´s gonna stay this way. But thanks anyway :-)

      Delete
    2. I just found this article that might be related to your language settings' issue. I'm going to leave the link here (http://bit.ly/1escODC). Hope it helps you more or less, Lise :)

      Delete