10 Aug 2013

Just saying "Hallo Web 2.0"

Most people know the feeling of being part of a conversation at work or in class where someone suddenly brings up a new and unfamiliar concept that everybody else seems to know about but you. So your instant thought is “please don’t ask me about this” and “get me online so I can look it up on Wikipedia” before I look like a total dummy. Recently I came across the concept of Web 2.0 in a similar manor. So I went on to use Wikipedia (as I always do) without even knowing that I was actually already using a Web 2.0 tool.
Here is what I´ve found:
“Web 2.0 is in short social software that enables people to interact in knowledge sharing using different types of tools through the web”

So far so good. But what are these main tools, how do they work and how can I use these? Through my searching I found that not all the web 2.0 tools were as unfamiliar as I first imagined. Wikipedia is, as mentioned, a well-known tool to most people as well as Facebook and Twitter. To me some of the new tools included blogs, podcasts, rss and general use of wikis. Getting to know all these new tools and the ideas behind them might, to some (including myself), seem overwhelming but as it turns out pedagogical and visual introduction to these tools is luckily also available. In example explaining the concept of an rss-feeder, as a common Web 2.0 tool, is introduced here.



Haven gone over the video clips the tools of web 2.0 suddenly do not seem so distant and unfamiliar. So I continued my search in relation to how the web 2.0 tools can assist my personal productivity and found even more tools that I am positive will come in handy through my future studies and hopefully to you too. In example:

Google.docs - (as part of goggle.drive) just started using this tool and really think it's a nice alternative to dropbox as more people canwork in the same document at the same time

Glogster.com  - a place to use your imagination and design your own posters using, music, video, speak, pictures, animations and more. A fun and visual alternative to ordinary blogging.

Popplet.com – an easy to use, collaborative tool for creating mind maps for school or professional work.

To me the only downside to these tools is that I didn’t know about them until now ;) In general Web 2.0 has contributed to my personal productivity in terms of providing important knowledge that is essential to my specific interests. Also it has reinforced my own engagement and contribution of knowledge sharing through my personal online networks.

As it turns out the more I look the more I notice that web 2.0 is all around and even though some aspects are new some are definitely also familiar and to me that is a nice starting point. I guess I am also not a total dummy any longer if someone asks me of my opinion on the new trends in Web 2.0 – so mission complete!
Again, please feel free to comment as I am sure I can still learn a lot, whether you are a know-it-all-IT-geniuses or just a rookie - like me.   
Well that’s it for my blog post this week and enough of all this Web 2.0 stuff….now it´s time for Facebook!!!  ;-)

Refrences:
Web 2.0
Wikipedia
Common craft
Google.docs
dropbox
Glogster.com
Popplet.com

7 comments:

  1. Useful and nicely presented again nice job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your view on Web2.0!

    I really like your blogging style as it's informal and interesting to read, almost sounds like talking to a friend, the perfect tone for online blogging.

    I have talked about blogging techniques in my blog post during week 1 if you like to know more:

    http://jiabaoli.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/features-of-good-blogs-and-my-blogging.html

    I suppose the world changes rapidly, there are so many new information available everyday, but a lot of us didn't know about it until later. But as IT professionals, I do believe it's our responsibility to make sure we know well about IT tools for businesses to utilise them and to maximise their work efficiency.

    I have chosen Topic 1 for this week’s task to talk about my view on the benefit of Web 2.0; I have also included my experience of using 2 interesting Social Media tools, Pinterest and Habbo.

    Visit my blog post at:

    http://jiabaoli.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/the-benefit-of-using-web-20-pinterest.html if you would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another interesting post, thanks for sharing it. I found the visual introduction to Web 2.0 you posted quite interesting, as it can be quite useful for people who are unfamiliar with what Web 2.0 has to offer. You're quite right that all this stuff can be very overwhelming for a novice. I wasn't aware of that mind mapping tool either, I guess you learn something new every day in this age :)

    Please have a look at my recent post on Enterprise 2.0 in action, I'm curious what you think:
    http://digitalrainforest.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/examples-of-enterprise-2-0-in-action/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lise,
    I can see the usage of the Web 2.0 tool in the your post as well :). Wikipedia is a great example of Web 2.0 tools that allows public users to take parts as authors in generating contents for online communities (crowdsourcing). Unlike Wikipedia, in terms of accessibility, I think that Google Document seems to concern more about privacy as it limits the access to just specified user groups. To start collaboration within the same document, shared permission needs to be granted by the document’s owner as well as viewing the document’s content that required its address link. About the tools for your personal productivity, I think that you have a nice and interesting list of them. The visual tools’ introduction and RSS video in your post really demonstrate clear ideas about the tools’ mechanisms in which users interact with them.

    Nice exploring Web2.0 post, Lise

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi sarun21, thank you for your comment. Are you sure that google.docs is not a Web 2.0 tool? I just saw that other have mentioned dropbox. Also in the video clip (think it is called wikis in plain english)it would seem to me tike the friends going on the camping trip are the only ones who can access the check list that they have created in the cloud. Also when using Enterprise 2.0 for internal usage in the company it is also limited who can gain access to the different documents. Please tell me if I am all wrong. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete